The town of Bagan, ideally located on the left bank of the Ayeyarwaddy River and approximately 90 miles (145 km) southwest of Mandalay. Bagan has several gorgeous temples and pagodas; 10,000 years of history; oodles of culture and fine cuisine.
Here we will reveal top 3 amazing things to explore Bagan in summer 2019.
How to get Bagan
- 1 How to get Bagan
- 2 How to get around Bagan
- 3 Top 3 amazing things to explore Bagan
- 4 Best food in Bargan
There are totally 4 main access to get to Bagan.
- The most convenient way but expensive is by plane. You will depart for in Nyaung U then drive a haft hour to Old Bagan.
Note: the Nyaung U airport is a domestic airport.
- You can visit to us to book the cheapest tickets: Vinaday Goreise
- Bus is the cheapest option to go to Bagan. You can choose one of several different services, but most of them usually pick up and drop off you at your hotels.
- The third one is to take a train. There’s no easy way to say it, so we’re just going to come out with it. The train from Yangon to Bagan will take 17 hours. However, it is an memorable Burmese experience that you have to try once time.
- The final way is to meador a boat down the river from Mandalay. The price is around 45 USD per way including one breakfast and one lunch. It takes you around 8-10 hours. You can book your ticket at hotels, guesthouses and hostels.
How to get around Bagan
- The cheapest way to get around is to rent a push-bike. Bagan is huge, and the temples are very spread out, so push bikes are quite not recommended for whom to want to see a lot.
- Another choice is to rent an e-bike. You can rent them everywhere within the town. The small ones go for about 5 USD/day while the big ones go for about 10 USD/day. It looks very convenient and fast.
Tip: You should be well-prepared to have the phone number of where you rented it. Therefore, they make sure to provide to you another battery in case it dies.
- There are 3 ways to hire a driver in case you cannot drive by yourself:
- Hire a motorbike guide
- Hire a taxi or
- Take a horse and cart ride
Top 3 amazing things to explore Bagan
Must-visit pagodas and temples in Bagan
Began is very famous for its temples and pagodas. They estimated that there were 10,000 temples during the reign of King Anawrahta, who founded the Bagan empire in 1044.
The consequence of the earth wake in 1975 damaged most of temples and pagodas. Nowaday, there are a little over 2000 sites to explore.
Note: Please take off your shoes outside the temples and dress up respectfully during your visit
- Ananda, designated as the “west minister abbey” of Myanmar, is one of the most gorgeous and sacred temples.
- Dhammayangyi is the largest temple in Bagan.
- Shwesandaw is the most ideal place to view sunset in Bagan. The legend says this pagoda keeps a Buddha hair relic, so that is the reason why it named Holy Golden Hair.
- Thatbyinnyu: The tallest temple in Bagan.
- Htilominlo: Visitors will be amazed by the beautiful red brick temple with elaborate plaster mouldings.
- Sulamani: A popular temple is highlighted with many frescoes inside.
- Thambula: Well-known for its Chinese architecture.
- Nanda Pyin Nya: When coming into the temple, you will admire several paintings telling about legends and stories.
Finally, do not miss out to visit any interesting things you pass by on the way. There are too many ones to demonstrate on maps, so please embrace your chance to explore all the best amazing things in this lovely town.
Sunrise and sunset in Bagan
One of the best amazing things to explore Bagan is to view sunrise and sunset from the temples.
If your budget is accepted, hot air balloon riding over the temples is an incredible way to set off a day. You should book ticket well in advance with 350 USD per person.
Read more: Hot air ballooning in Bagan
If you need a budget-friendly one, you can head to a temple to view the sunrise. You will roll out with a taxi or rent an e-bike at 5 am.
Sunset is also gorgeous to watch from the temples. Therefor you can take a boat to the river and watch from there.
temples for sunrise.
The recommended temples include: Shwesandaw, Thitsarwady, Pyathetgyi, Shwenanyinday, and Oah Chan Pae Kone.
The last option is to take a boat cruise and watch from the water. It looks an escape for you to wrap up a day.
Read more: Tours and Tickets by Bagan Boat Trips
Embrace your great chance to explore the traditional Burmese country life in Minnathu Village. This local spot is a farming village nearby New Bagan that still maintains the way of life for centuries.
Best food in Bargan
In generally, Myanmar attracts to visitors not only with touristy spots bu also very fine cusine.
1. Tea leaf salad
2. Shan-style rice
Known as nga htamin (fish rice), this Shan is one of the country’s main Buddhist ethnic groups. This dish is cooked with turmeric and squashed into a disk with a topping of flakes of fresh water fish and garlic oil.
3. Burmese curry
Delicious burmese curry is expected more than just a meal, it is one of the best cuisine in Myanmar.
Curry is the central element but multiple choice of meat: pork, fish, shrimp, beef or mutton.
Burmese sweet snacks, known collectively as “moun,”, typically taken with tea in the morning or afternoon.